메뉴 건너뛰기

tnt_os

MSDN Home >  MSDN Library >  Driver Development Tools >  Interpreting Bug Check Codes >  Bug Check Codes  

Driver Development Tools: Windows DDK

Bug Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
The PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA bug check has a value of 0x00000050. This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
1 Memory address referenced
2 0: Read operation
1: Write operation

3 Address that referenced memory (if known)
4 Reserved  

If the driver responsible for the error can be identified, its name is printed on the blue screen and stored in memory at the location (PUNICODE_STRING) KiBugCheckDriver.

Cause
Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.

Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

Resolving the Problem
Resolving a faulty hardware problem: If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. You should run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

Resolving a faulty system service problem: Disable the service and confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer of the system service about a possible update. If the error occurs during system startup, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-mode menu that displays the operating system choices. At the resulting Windows Advanced Options menu, choose the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time.

Resolving an antivirus software problem: Disable the program and confirm that this resolves the error. If it does, contact the manufacturer of the program about a possible update.

Resolving a corrupted NTFS volume problem: Run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and repair disk errors. You must restart the system before the disk scan begins on a system partition. If the hard disk is SCSI, check for problems between the SCSI controller and the disk.

Finally, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it.

Comments
Typically, this address is in freed memory or is simply invalid.

This cannot be protected by a try - except handler it can only be protected by a probe.

Built on Friday, June 06, 2003  
Contact Us   |  E-Mail this Page   |  MSDN Flash Newsletter  
ⓒ 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use  Privacy Statement   Accessibility  

======================================================================================================
Err Msg: STOP 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
적용 대상
This article was previously published under Q222635
SYMPTOMS
When you run NetMeeting with sharing enabled, you may receive the following error message on a blue screen if you restart your computer and start NetMeeting again:

STOP 0x00000050
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if your computer uses the STB nVidia ZX 8-MB AGP display driver. This problem may also occur with the nVidia Riva 128 chip set in general. Some of the drivers for this chip set support OpenGL in a way that conflicts with the NetMeeting sharing function in Windows NT.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, obtain an updated video driver for your video adapter from the adapter's manufacturer or from your computer's manufacturer.

To work around this issue, use the standard VGA video driver for Windows NT when you are using NetMeeting with sharing enabled.
MORE INFORMATION
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

======================================================================================================
I had the same problem you did/do, but I have a clean install of Windows 2000. The PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA system fault would occur every time or nearly every time (can't remember) I started my computer but then a reboot would work fine (seemingly). Very strange. I tried to recall what I had changed as I had a perfectly running system until a few days previous to my analysis of the problem and after searching the internet and reading the suggested possible causes I recalled that I had recently changed the Bloodhound heuristics setting for my Norton Antivirus to high from normal. I changed the setting back to normal and have not had the problem since. If I get a recurrence I will post. I sure do like it when things work as they should. I'm running an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton on an Asus A7N8X with one 512mb stick of Crucial DDR ram, most stable BIOS settings, no overclocking at all, 766 mb swap file on the C: system drive. I haven't been going to church, however, but I am a Democrat (mostly). I haven't seen whether the moon is full, it's been cloudy. Best of luck.

xp can't run when the usb disk is disconnetted. This is the error message that appear in the "blue screen" PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Thanks Crocco

On Tuesday, October 21, 2003 at 9:30 pm, Kieran wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I have been plagued by these 2 IRQL/PAGE_FAULT errors for a while now.  I own a
laptop
>computer and so changing hardware is not very feasible.
>
>I generally experience the errors at set points whilst watching DivX encoded films
>in Windows Media Player 9 in fullscreen (generally it would be fine in a window).
> The fact that the errors occur at the same point in the video (or after a certain
>time period) meant it's been easy to find out if i've fixed the problem I had.
>
>Whilst it is still fresh in my mind, I felt I should post the fix somewhere so maybe
>others could follow what I did and perhaps come to a solution.
>
>My system is an AMD Athlon 1600+ (1.4GHz) notebook with 384mb ram and an S3 Twister
>K video card.
>
>here is what i've done:
>
>1.  Downgraded from XP Pro to Home using image cds from supplier (still crashes
with
>same error)
>2.  Installed XP SP1
>3.  Installed latest video drivers for S3 Twister K
>4.  Installed every recommended update from WindowsUpdate (relating to QB articles
>- not things like DX9 etc..)
>5.  Installed S3 Twister drivers from VIATech.com website
>6.  Installed latest VIATech4-in-1 drivers
>7.  I read on the DivX.com website that DivX5.0 is optimized for AMD processors,
>so I disabled post-processing in DivXConfig.
>
>and to think... after all this it was still crashing at the same point of the film.
>
>8.  I checked the bios.  Unfortunately the bios settings are not very advanced compared
>to desktop bios's, however I was able to alter "Shared Video Memory", between 8,
>16 and 32mb.  Current setting was on 16mb.  I changed it to 32mb, and now I am 30
>minutes into the film, fullscreen, and not even so much as a hiccup from the video.
>
>I hope this has indeed fixed the problem for me, and also that it might help other
>sufferers (and doing a Google search tells me there's alot of you!)
>
>Kieran

======================================================================================================================

SUPPORT: Stop 0x50 Error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Apply this information only if Windows XP is generating Bugcheck or Stop 0x50 errors.

About Stop 0x50

This is a rather nasty error that could be caused by just about anything, including busted audio drivers, incompatible video drivers, bad or corrupt hard disk, and faulty hardware such as bad RAM. The error may be triggered by an event such as plugging in a USB device, but the problem is, the fault may not lie with the device that was actually plugged in. Worse still, other errors can mask this one. The point is, the crash may be a symptom of some other problem, or another crash might prevent you from seeing this one. A case in point from my own experience:

Windows Server 2003 does not support the features of the Microsoft Office Keyboard but I ignored these warnings and installed the USB device anyway. Everything was fine for several weeks, excpet that I did not have access to all the features. After installing a USB camera, my machine began to experience Stop 0x00000077 (KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR) and Stop 0x0000008E (KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) errors. I was also seeing screen corruption on rare occasions. By now I was starting to resign myself to the possibility that my 128MB nVidia Ti4200 had died in its pants.

Of course, I uninstalled the camera but the problem persisted. It was only after disabling a number of startup items with msconfig that the machine fell over with a Stop 0x00000050 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA). It was at that point I started to see myself having to invest in another gigabyte of 333MHz DDRAM. I was not impressed.

It was mid-way through the cursing and swearing that I recalled the warning I had ignored. I fossicked through my parts boxes and found a USB to PS/2 adapter, and switched the keyboard from the USB to the PS/2 socket. Everything has been running without a problem since.

Things to do

Use Troubleshooting Tools

If the crash is associated with plugging in some hardware, use device manager to remove the device drivers. Use msconfig to disable any services associated with the hardware and any other startup services that are not essential. Visit the manufacturer’s website and try to locate up to date drivers.

Perform a Soak Test

If XP still blows up, run some tests by downloading the trail version of SiSoft Sandra from the web and put the machine through its paces. Sandra is not designed for fault finding, but it does put a heavy load on the machine, so there is a chance that the problem may manifest itself when Sandra is running its benchmarks. You are looking for crashes during CPU, video, RAM, sound and disk tests.

Check the RAM

Most often, x50 is associated with dud RAM. That includes main memory, video and CPU cache memory. If you have more than one stick of RAM, start ripping the sticks out one at a time. If you only have one stick, you will need to find someone who can help you out with a spare stick that fits your machine.

Get Desperate

Disable all BIOS caching and speed-up options.

Disable power management.

If you are overclocking, don't.

Antivirus software can cause this error. Disable any antivirus software you have.

Run Chkdsk /f to check for disk errors because corrupt disk volumes can cause this, too.

Check Event Viewer to see if there are any additional errors or warnings that might provide a clue.

위로